Thursday, February 10, 2011

Brands


I just finished reading the first two books in a YA series.  Not saying which one but, it's found its way to the small screen.  (dramatic pause) Ok, it's Pretty Little Liars.  I hate a mystery.

At first, I was distracted by all the brand names plastered on the pages.  The Gucci-toting girls shopping at Prada and drooling at Tiffany's display case, blurred before my eyes.  (I have to confess that I do like fashion but haven't the time or energy to devote to being a fashionista.)  I fought my way through the first few chapters and began to ease into the branding.  After being sucked into the story, as any good author schemes, I began to associate certain brand names with characters.  It wasn't a bother to see those labels.

In looking at the novels with my writer-goggles, I realized it's another layer of detail that can enhance a story.  I often fail to add those brand names for fear that I will date my work.  But, here's the thing...every story becomes dated to some degree by elements.  Whether it's a rotary phone, moon boots or jeggings, it will throw us back to a specific time.   My son still doesn't believe that I used to drink fluorescent green Hi-C out of a metal can.

So go ahead and add your Chanel-sprayed, Kate-Spade lugging, Ugg-heeled characters.      

1 comment:

  1. I have not picked those up yet, but have watched the show! Yeah that's a tough one, huh? I do name things more now too!

    ReplyDelete