Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Joy or Misery?

Neither.  I've come to the realization that writing conferences aren't about emotion.  It's a time to improve your skills.  And if you're lucky, you can take the extremes out of your reaction to what is being said.  It's a time to sit back and become a sponge.

So, you ask, what was the outcome of my critique with Jennifer Rees?  (She's with Scholastic and was the editor for The Hunger Games Trilogy...my latest literary crush)  It was honest.  There were good points. (The smiley faces made me grin.)  There was criticism. but it pointed me in direction I need to go in order to improve my manuscript.

The best comment: "I like the quirky feel of the story and writing."  Yes, I choose to interpret 'quirky' as a positive.  Every author wants to be unique, different, one-of-a-kind, etc.  It was enough for me to come home and hack the first three chapters to incorporate other points she made. 

Joy or misery?  Neither.  Maybe I should write trampoline or sink hole next time.  I'll bounce, I mean, sign off for now. :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment