Friday, September 24, 2010

What's in a Name?

I have to confess.  A cliffhanger gets me every time.  So if you stuck with me....it's Sawyer.  That's it.  No more!

I love constructing names.  The names in my latest are coming readily. 

Why do we choose certain names?  Wouldn't you love to know why famous literary characters were christened?  Oliver Twist, Hermione Granger, Margaret Murry, Junie B. Jones, Ramona, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Katniss Everdeen and on and on.  Some resonate long after the book has been put away, archived, etc.  They dwell in our minds and we pull them out as needed.  Baby names, dog names, etc.  Our memories and emotions shade our choices.  I'll never use Melody or Tyler.  A strong image has forever tainted those poor innocent names.

Names you love?  Hate? 

No comments:

Post a Comment